Apple cider vinegar is widely used for a myriad of health benefits and as a Cold Sore Remedy. One of these benefits is treating and preventing cold sores. Even though research is limited in this area, it is important to consider why ACV works for cold sores. Science sheds a lot of light on the function of vinegar regarding this problem. To this end, many people continue getting good results after using this home remedy. Keep in mind that this remedy has been used for a very long time by many. The results may vary from person to person depending on a variety of factors. For example, underlying health conditions and use of other medications will affect the efficacy of this cold sores alternative remedy. This article digs into how the vinegar works and also looks at cold sores and how they come about.
What are cold sores?
Cold sores are blisters that form on and around the lips. The sores which are also called fever blisters are caused by a virus known as herpes simplex virus (HSV). There are two variations of this virus which are HSV-1 and HSV-2. The first type is commonly associated with the formation of cold sores. The other one is mainly known to cause genital herpes. Once you contract this virus, it can live in your body for a very long time. When your immunity is compromised, cold sores may form.
How an apple cider vinegar cold sore remedy works
As hinted to above, ACV can work in two ways to help you with your cold sores. It can prevent the problem or treat the sores. The various components in vinegar work together to give good results. To begin with, ACV has antiseptic, antibacterial and anti inflammatory elements. In this respect, the cold sore virus will be deterred from infecting you, if you are using the remedy for prevention. Because of the anti inflammatory attributes, existing cold sores can be soothed and dried out this way. In addition, you can get rid of any pain accompanying the cold sores.
Because apple cider vinegar will restore pH balance in your body, the sores will heal faster. These sores will thrive where alkalinity is potent. However, the remedy will promote balance ensuring that cold sores are discouraged from forming on skin. The intense acidity of the vinegar has the power to keep the virus at bay. Also, note that ACV works to promote your immunity overall. Therefore, when your system is strong, the chances of developing a cold sore are limited. Because the vinegar is loaded with antioxidant properties, the progression of cold sores on skin will be compromised. In this regard, the sores will not spread further.
How to use ACV as a cold sore remedy at home
There are two main ways of employing the vinegar to tackle your cold sore issue. First, you could use the vinegar directly on the problem area; or you could consume the remedy orally to benefit from within. Applying directly to the cold sore will definitely irritate but it works to dry out the sore and heal it faster. It also prevents contamination and spread of the sores. Drinking the remedy will work as a preventative measure. It will also help you to enjoy all other health benefits of vinegar.
How to make the cold sore remedies using ACV
Applying directly on the affected part of the skin is simple. Just look for a nice cotton pad and dip in a high quality apple cider vinegar. Then, apply to the area and press a bit. Hold for several minutes. Doing this three times a day will give you the results you need. The cold sore will start to dry out while the fluid is drained out. Some people will prefer to dilute the vinegar before using the cotton ball to reduce the level of irritation. If you prefer to dilute, this will work as well. This vinegar has the potential to burn skin and therefore caution must be taken.
When you want to drink the remedy for cold sore prevention, a tablespoon of ACV should be added to a glass of warm water. Drinking at-least two glasses every single day will give you the results you desire. You should never drink vinegar undiluted because this will help you avert the ill side effects. Keep in mind that a high quality ACV is one that comes with the ‘mother’ element. This means that it must be raw and unfiltered. Any other type will not give you the results needed.
Additional tips for best results
– You should always be very mindful when applying vinegar directly to the skin. When using your cotton pad or ball, apply the remedy around the sore while avoiding direct contact with any open areas. This will help prevent burning and stinging that is intense.
– After applying the vinegar, always rinse the area with some warm water. After this, apply a mild lip balm or a soothing moisturizer to the affected area. This will help keep your skin in top shape while healing the cold sore.
– Your cotton balls and pads must always be clean for every application. This is to ensure a high level of hygiene. This will help you heal faster by avoiding infections. Also, avoid touching the area with your hands; this will quicken the healing process as well.
– Some people have allergic reactions to ACV. If this happens, avoid using the remedy and seek professional help.
– Prevention is always better than cure. Therefore, use the vinegar as part of a healthy regimen for the long run. This way, you will enjoy many other health merits in addition to keeping cold sores at bay.
– Never use ACV dosages that are higher than recommended. This will only cause undesired side effects. From gastrointestinal problems to low blood sugar, there are dire consequences for taking too much vinegar.
– For people who are looking for natural alternatives to conventional medicines, ACV is a good consideration for cold sores. It is not just cheaper and convenient; but it works in a natural way to boost overall health.